So what's this all about?

I turn forty at the end of the year. Before I get there I want to have another amateur MMA fight. This blog is a record of how, and if, I manage to achieve this.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Coach Dan John



Seeking inspiration, I've been reading some of Dan John's articles from his site and T-Nation. Dan is a very well respected participant and coach in Olympic and highland games style throws and also the Olympic lifts. As such he has a wealth of knowledge and experience to impart and does so in a detailed and entertaining manner.

One of the ideas that Dan explores is that of 'Work, Rest, Play, Pray'. This is Dan's expansion of the idea of balance in life, developed from a combination of his own experience and something that a nun talked about in his youth(!). The article is well worth reading, but essentially it presents the four words as points on an alternative compass. Those involved with sports or physical training of any sort will be familiar with definitions of the first two – Work and Rest – but how many of us really give any thought to the latter pair?

Reading logs and blog posts you'd be forgiven for thinking that those writing them were sometimes forced to train, where has all the fun gone? This is the play part. Maybe we all need to re-connect occasionally with the reasons for which we started training, that we love the sports that we play, that we enjoy the feeling we get from lifting and sprinting, we've made some good friends through our love of sports. We need to enjoy what we do. There's no doubt in my mind that, particularly for the amateur, losing the 'enjoyment factor' is halfway down the road to burnout and at least two steps towards giving it (whatever 'it' is) up altogether.

Ok Coach Dan, I get Work, Rest and, now, Play, but what do you mean by Pray? Referring again to the article, Dan talks about taking time to just be alone for a few minutes although he also counters this by discussing his own penchant for too much training alone – it's all about balance see. For me the Pray part can be any number of things – walking the dog, Zen meditation working on my bonsai trees – and whilst I need alone time, I often need to tilt the balance the other way and spend more time with my family and friends. This for me is also Play.

I'd urge you to head on over to T-Nation or to his website to look up some of Dan John's articles, and to think about your own balance compass, like me, you might learn something.

Look after yourself.....

No comments:

Post a Comment